Ethiopian Airlines Agreed to Establish Ghana Airways and Acquire 49% Share


Ethiopian Airlines won a bid to establish Ghanaian Airways after competing with three other airline companies that participated in the bid. The opportunity will enable Ethiopian Airlines to hold a 49% share in the airline while the Ghana government and the private sector will be sharing the remaining 51% of the shares.

The bidding process took more than three years since its initial announcement in 2016. During the bidding process, Africa’s largest airline, Ethiopian Airlines, and the government of Ghana have signed a strategic partnership agreement to set up a new national carrier in Accra, Ghana.

During the bidding process, Air Mauritius and other local based carrier company named Africa World Air showed their interest but after an intense evaluation process, Ethiopian Airlines was able to win the bid. The airport is expected to operate both domestic and international flights.

Ethiopian Airlines has already established airlines in two other countries Lomé, Togo, and Lilongwe, Malawi while partnering with four other countries in opening their airlines. The latest established airline by Ethiopian was Mozambique Airline.